“A fashion is merely a form of ugliness so unbearable that we are compelled to alter it every six months.”
Behold a sampling from the Thom Browne collection. Now, that takes balls both to design and wear. You must admit. Tommy Boy was named the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) Menswear Designer of the Year in March 2006 and named the GQ Designer of the Year in November 2008. Let me repeat: what balls.
Men’s fashion and style. It’s a subject I address herein. Admittedly a departure from the usually stuff but it illustrates by breadth of interest and insatiable and boundless ken. Men for the most part never are instructed in the rudiments of apparel, fashion and style. And it’s the style part that’s the most fascinating. Far too often men are congratulated for acting boorish and dimwitted when it comes to anything approximating fashion-centered. If a man takes care to dress well it’s considered by some to be effeminate or . . . while I can still use this term as a pejorative exemplar . . . gay. Herein, let me tell you a few anecdotes and present a few sartorial tutorials. Or to hint at the existentialist: Sartre-orial.
- Constant hectoring from a man who wears purple shirts . . . with a suit.
- A man who knows not of the seasons. White in January.
- Ode to the pocket square: genius engineering.
- The pig and his filthy unmanicured fingernails.
- Facial hair today, gone tomorrow.
- The cravat: where to put your money.
- Fashion sins and crimes.
- Tattoos, Uggs and sputum-froth disguised as beer.
- Tattoos for some: skywriting at night.
And a host of other delightful stories to regale and wow you. As stated, I know; this is not the usual subject matter theme. so sue me. And enjoy.